So you want to be an author?

All about writing and everything related to writing.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Deborah: I'm a published author of the Kate Carpenter Mysteries. I write, and I teach workshops and classes. I have lost 140 pounds! Arlene: I'm a PhD psychologist, working with chronic pain patients. I have lost 40 pounds. Kelly: I'm a registered dietitian who works hard to maintain my weight and fitness level with healthy diet and lots of exercise.

Friday, July 14, 2006

Summer in the City

Ever try and get inspired when it's well over 30 degrees outside, there is not a hint of wind and you haven't slept well in three days.

How about when the air conditioning at your office has broken down and you've been sitting in an office that is 32 degree for the last two weeks.

And don't forget, you're probably on a deadline.

So where does the motivation and/or inspiration come from?

For me, I think the motivation is easier sometimes. There is the standard motivating factors we all share, mortgage, bills, food in the fridge. On top of that there is always that pressing voice saying "you got published, you've got your chance - don't lose the momentum now!". That's a big one for me.

Inspiration is hard. My brain is asleep right now. Or at least moving really, really slowly. So now I have to open up my computer, avoid any file with the word solitaire in it, and come up with something witty and brilliant that my publisher will love and want to publish in six months or so. Doesn't always happen. But I do not believe in writer's block.

So what do I do? Well, I have a rule: five pages a day. Come hell or high water. I mean, this may be a creative endeavor, but it is also a job, so I have to be disciplined. And so I write until I have five pages. Maybe the next day I'll trash all five of those pages. Maybe I'll find a little germ of something worth keeping. Maybe it will all be great (in my mind - wait until the editor gets at it!) And if I can't do that, I'll write five pages of my character's history. But I will write. And sometimes I'll play solitaire too. Which is probably one of the reasons I haven't slept well for the last several nights. You have to stay up really late if you're going to write five pages and play solitaire.

Even later if you're now writing a blog too! Uh-oh!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

6:20 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

12:24 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home