So you want to be an author?

All about writing and everything related to writing.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Deborah: I'm a published author of the Kate Carpenter Mysteries. I write, and I teach workshops and classes. I have lost 140 pounds! Arlene: I'm a PhD psychologist, working with chronic pain patients. I have lost 40 pounds. Kelly: I'm a registered dietitian who works hard to maintain my weight and fitness level with healthy diet and lots of exercise.

Saturday, November 04, 2006



Love. Anyone really know what that's all about?

Why love you ask? Why not? Mostly I was just watching a TV show where two people were discovering their love/lust for each other (and getting naked together) and the whole love making scene made me crazy.

Love making and sex scenes are hard though. My first two books were pretty much "and he threw me on the bed"...then fade to black. I mean, if you stop and really think about sex and the mechanics of it, it's really not romantic. I'm not talking about the actually doing it part - especially with someone you're really into - it's the cold hard calculated facts. This goes here. That goes there. Unbotton this. Unzip that. It's almost laughable when you're taking it down into those terms. What makes sex amazing is the emotion that is involved when you're doing it. The hormones rev up, the heart rate revs up and the emotions rev up. Killer combination.

but even when it's all great and it's working, it's not like it is on TV. I mean the writhing nad moaning and rolling around and falling off the bed and doing it in 57 different positions before the massive multiple simultaneous orgasmic climax. Okay, maybe when I was 20 I could do the 57 different positions things, but really, much beyond that it's just too much work for too little pay off. And maybe I've just been sadly deprived, but all that rolling around - he's on top, she's on top, he's on top, she's on top, then he throws her back down beneath him and takes her with his throbbing manhood! Oi vay!

But, like I said, he who casts the first stone better have written a love making scene. Well I have, because like everything else, practice makes perfect. Or at least practice makes it so you don't laugh out loud while you're writing it. And can you make it realistic or is that too boring for fiction or television or movies? Is the point to make it real so people can identify or to show the Hollywood Movie Star's breasts? Ponder that one and keep practicing, both on paper and on 600 threadcount sheets. Remember, they always say you have write what you know!

And by the way, if you really do all that rocking and rolling and throbbing manhood stuff for real - maybe you could give me a call sometime....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your description of the "mechanics" of sex is too true. Take it from a "senior citizen". But when you really love someone, it doesn't matter whether the old breasts sag and the old penis doesn't quite stand up the way it used to....love is grand!

10:29 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home