So you want to be an author?

All about writing and everything related to writing.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Deborah: I'm a published author of the Kate Carpenter Mysteries. I write, and I teach workshops and classes. I have lost 140 pounds! Arlene: I'm a PhD psychologist, working with chronic pain patients. I have lost 40 pounds. Kelly: I'm a registered dietitian who works hard to maintain my weight and fitness level with healthy diet and lots of exercise.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

What's Santa's Postal Code?





HOH OHO






Sorry, it's the best I could do on short notice.

Anyway, it's a good lead in to the December talk. As in Christmas is coming. As in what does one do to find the joy in Christmas again and avoid the crass commercialization that it has become?


Now, to the best of my knowledge, there was always a celebration at the height of winter - some would call it paganistic, and then when civilization was spreading, it became a celebration of the birth of Christ. Now, I don't know if you believe in JC or not, if you're a Christian or a pagan - I'm not judging or preaching, just explaining history as I understand it. So even though some now say Jesus was not even born in December, it became the time we celebrated it, to make the pagans feel like they really belonged - like a slow and subtle conversion process (which is better than throwing them to the lions or something).
Another thing I learned this year was the the gift giving tradition was started by the Romans. So it's all their fault!
Again, I do understand the concept of giving presents to the ones you love. I understand bribing children to try and get them to behave (I don't care how great a parent you are, I bet you've done it at least once). So I can see how Santa Claus and his legend grew, I can understand Saints and good people helping the needy in the middle of winter when food was running low or people didn't have clothes warm enough for the cold weather.
What I don't understand is three hour line-ups at (insert name of store here), I do not understand shooting people to get the latest video game, I do not understand spending an average of $800.00 per family member (a Canadian figure I heard). I don't understand how spending money or buying things represents the season of caring, or the birth of Christ (after all, didn't the wise men bring presents they had made themselves?) or even the tradition of family.

I miss the traditions. I miss decorating the tree with a bunch of people. I miss present wrapping marathons. Baking with all the ladies of the family all day long. I miss Christmas dinners where everyone brings their specialty dish. I hate the fact that Christmas has been about connecting with someone for a quick lunch just to exchange presents. I have developed a huge belief that if all we're doing is exchanging presents at Christmas, I want no part of it. If we're getting together, carrying on a tradition - making ornaments, stringing popcorn, baking, wrapping presents, then at least you had some quality time together. But I'm making my own little statement that I will not buy presents just because it's December 25th.
Besides, I try and tell my friends and family that I love them all year long, and to do things for them all year long. Just little things, here and there, that are special because they're not done on a specific day where tradition holds that I must provide a present. I do them to let them know I love them and am thinking about them just because.
I'm sure this won't be the last you hear about this subject. I hope you all have developed your own traditions and overcome this in your own way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home